Most people have likely seen the abbreviation I.T., but can most of these people say what this abbreviation stands for or what this department does? I.T. stands for information technology which has been used in the past to generally describe anything related to computers. An I.T. department encompasses much more than just fixing a virus on a computer or setting up a wireless network. It can offer many benefits that will allow your business to run more efficiently.
More often than not, information technology is a form of digital communication. This form of technology allows a computer to store and retrieve information on demand. Recently, its definition has become more targeted to distinguish information technology from similar fields like computer science or software engineering.
While it seems like a simple concept to understand, it can be easily misunderstood or underrated.
What people think Information Technology is
There are multiple misconceptions that arise in relation to the field of I.T. Often, I.T. is seen as a profession that is not, on its own, necessary. Many people believe that they are capable of handling their own internet setup, for example. However, these people may also typically lack the resources or knowledge needed to complete this task.
It is also common to hear the notion that I.T. work can be done instantaneously and around a client’s schedule. The truth of the matter is that the field of I.T. is incredibly intricate and complex. When I.T. specialists fix an issue, it is not as simple as a click of a button. These tasks require a considerable amount of time and knowledge to accomplish. It is important with I.T., as it is with any other business, to be respectful of the time it takes to complete a job.
It is important to recognize and understand these common misconceptions to avoid mistakes or confusion in the future.
What I.T. actually is
What an I.T. Specialist actually does is make businesses and personal computers more effective and efficient. However, information technology is more than just general computer work. The field of information technology specifically focuses on the functionality and ease of working with technology. This can consist of many functions and services.
Some of the services that information technology can provide includes:
- Fixing an internet issue
- Setting up software
- Maintaining laptop and desktop computers
- Creating wireless networks
- Programming a firewall
- Storing data that is easily accessible
- Protecting valuable data
I.T. vs. Similar terms or professions
Although information technology is a large and important part of the technological field, it is not alone in this field. It is important to understand the distinction between information technology and other similar professions and terms.
- Technology - Technology and information technology can be used interchangeably. While the goal of each can be similar, their outcomes are fundamentally different. Technology is something that is created - it provides a solution to an issue whereas information technology is a way to use technology to collect, store, retrieve, and create data.
- Software engineering - Software engineering refers to installing, creating, and coding software. In this instance, information technology refers to the maintenance and preservation of the software that was previously created.
- Computer science - Computer Science is similar to software engineering in its function. They both create computer applications and programs. Information technology refers to the process of using and maintaining the applications and programs properly.
- Cybersecurity - Cybersecurity is defined as the protection of information and data that is transferred and stored virtually. Information technology would be the process of creating programs or databases that are used to protect virtual data.
What we can offer you
Auburn I.T. provides reliable quality security to put your mind at ease. With Auburn I.T., you never have to worry again about your private information being accessible to anyone outside your company. To protect your personal information and data, we provide secure remote access and 24/7 surveillance and protection.
In addition to cybersecurity, Auburn I.T. offers a wide variety of services to fit every customer’s needs. We oversee and implement rigorous measures to ensure your data is backed up, and we provide various forms of maintenance to prevent a problem before it ever occurs. Auburn I.T. has a wide range of services to offer your business.
Auburn I.T. prides itself on making every client a priority. We focus on long-lasting relationships in place of traditional apathetic business exchanges. Our no-contract policy sets us apart from other I.T. companies. With over 40 years of experience, Auburn I.T. is an established partner that you can count on.